Friday, September 9, 2016

DIY iPhone Amp


This exploratory project allowed us to demonstrate our knowledge in crafting as well as how to utilize sound with the tools we have available. By using an online template, we had the option to create our own design or use an online image to personalize our own iPhone amplifiers. 

For my design, I wanted to choose an image that depicted water, because the sound I chose to amplify was of my dishwasher. It sounds a bit like a turbine on a boat at first. I called the sound "Nostalgia" because almost anything involving water (the ocean, washing machines, thunderstorms, etc.) make me feel nostalgia, in a good way. A specific memory that arises is when I would stay at my grandparents house in Florida and how they would set the dishwasher or washing machine whenever a thunderstorm began outside to relax their old dog, Mazie. This is a fond memory of mine, and whenever I hear a dishwasher or washing machine, I tend to think of thunderstorms or rain. 

This was a fun project to create. Now I have a cool speaker for that I can use for my phone and impress my friends with! It reminds me of the old record player amplifiers people from the 50's and 60's would play jazz to, and it makes me want to dress in a fancy housewife dress and dance to jazz or Frank Sinatra. For now, I'll just play Midnight Menu by TOKiMONSTA (the album playing in the photos below). The other people in the class played unique sounds off their phones, some based the sounds off a characteristic of themselves, and it was very interesting to see how each person created their amplifiers to fit their specific phones/personas. I would love to try this again sometime.



No comments:

Post a Comment